1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This working

Discussion in 'Digital artwork' started by Kevin, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Just after some opinions on this Joker image, i have a hand in tomorrow at the club the comp involves choosing 4 categories out of 11 options one of these being Portraits. I was thinking of trying something different for the Portrait category so have come up with this. There are a few bit's i am not happy with at the moment the feet in particular and maybe the light in the bottom right corner. If you guys think it doesn't work i will abandon it and use something else. Cheers.

[​IMG]Joker by kevin barnes, on Flickr
  2. It's certainly different and will appeal to some people and not to others. I like it anyway.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Now the sort of genre I like - but for what it is it’s great. The diagonal lighting via the opposed dark corners really works well. :)
  4. I have no idea about these competitions, but I find the image quite powerful. If you want picky comments then here goes:

I often photograph our cats on the bed using a fleece and I always have to clone out hair and fluff. There are some specks around his feet that could be tidied up.
    If the "ground" is in focus, then I would rather see his toes clearly.
    Personal taste only, but I find the contrast a tad too great between the bottom corners.
    There is a shadow from his cane which shouldn't be there if the lighting is supposed to be coming from the top left.

I used to be a retoucher for a couple of baby remembrance charities, so tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. Feel free to ignore the comments :)
  5. Thanks for the comments Zooey, this is my thinking. I try to make the area around shoes soft so they blend in a bit, so trying to make the image not look like it is floating.
    I have tried to make it look as though there is light coming from the bottom right, so that's why i put a bit of shadow behind the cane.

But does it actually look like that?, that is the question so not sure wether to use it could be risky.
  6. Well I know nothing about these competitions as I said. I don't see the risk though. If you have nothing else you want to enter, then do your best and go for it :)
  7. For me it’s almost there, i might be tempted to bleed some of the background into the figure and add some texture over the top.

Think the bottom right is a little too bright, and could be toned down a little as draws my eye and competes with the face for my first look.
  8. As always thanks for the input guy's. I'm not convinced i have this right i might go with another category.