1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image Repair

Discussion in 'Photo processing' started by Zooey, Nov 7, 2019.

1. I'm still living an odd life at the moment. Having popped two ribs in six weeks, I bent down yesterday to pick up one of our cats to weigh and for a pawdicure and another one went. I have no idea if it's the first one playing up, but all I know is that I have chest pain on both sides. I wake up with the alarm at 5.30, do the zoo with hubby and crawl back to bed until around midday.

When I can sit for a while, I've been repairing old scanned film. I don't know if anyone is interested, but here is the before and after of my horse Hir-am during the year he spent at a showing yard. I'm sure I have always looked after my slides and negatives well and in fact, the latter have spent the last 15 years living in a binder with special negative sheets. This image in particular looks as though someone has used it to play noughts and crosses :eek:

Here are the before and after images. The whole repair took over an hour :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

It appears to have worked but it seems that the contrast in No2 is less but that is easily sorted.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Good job!
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Yes, good work here.

I find it very therapeutic to repair old shots, do you. I tend to do three or four a week and yes, they can take an hour or more depending on the damage. Usually the accompany a podcast and headphones whilst the rest of the family watch game shows.

My daughter has some apps that do it automatically - often really well, sharpening and restoring not just negs but even blurry modern shots - but I noticed that the output is always screen quality only so a lot of issues become naturally hidden.
  5. I love doing them when I'm in the right mood. Too many of pets we no longer have and it gets a bit tough. My film scanner has something that supposedly removes dust and scratches, but when I tested it in a previous version of the software, it removed some of the image too. I would rather take my time and do it by hand :)
  6. The second one looks a lot better and good work. Shame that you are still hurting and rest might be the only cure. However, at the moment, I have proper man flu and feel horrid. Just can't seem to shake it off either. You wimmin don't know what us geezers have to go through :)
  7. I thought you had been quiet :rofl:
    I can't even use Photoshop now. Adobe's latest update made it look as though there were two versions. My current one for desktop and a new one that works with mobile, that I didn't want. I got rid of that one, realised too late it was the new version of mine and now I can't install it. I sat in front of the monitor (to stop the cats pressing the Esc key) for a total of five hours today and every time our connection drops too much, the download grinds to a halt and I have to start again...
  8. I don't have Photoshop at the moment (have to upgrade my pc) Shame about your download speed, any news of your connection upgrade?
  9. No news on the upgrade, sadly. I'm ready for bed and only just have enough speed to use the forum. Earlier the test came up with 0.72 Mb/s download and 0.27 Mb/s upload. Hubby wants to do tomorrow's food shopping on his pad now, so I will have to shut down. I finally got my Adobe CC, but it took FOUR DAYS! Off to have a medicinal single malt and take a few cats to bed... :)