1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handy new gadget

Discussion in 'Photo processing' started by Eric Bong, Feb 21, 2019.

1. I recently bought a midi controller off ebay:

[​IMG]

which can be used to control virtually anything in lightroom. The device works via an app called midi2LR which is, as far as I understand, both Windows and Mac compatible.

You can map the buttons and dials to whatever you like, but you can also create profiles. A profile allows you to map the same button or dial to different things dependent on which profile you are in.

S0 I have one for the develop module (where I use the dials for exposure, shadows, highlights, contrast whites, blacks, clarity and dehaze). The A and B buttons on the right allow the buttons and dials to be used for two things, so on layer B I have temp, tint, vibrance, saturation, sharpening, colour noise reduction, luminance noise reduction and vignette.

I won't bore you with more detail, but I have another profile for the library module to score/pick/reject and colour code the images.

Mine cost £35 and it has revolutionised my workflow. I can through a batch of images so much more quickly now and it is much more intuitive to use a dial rather than a slider. Best of all, midi2lr works with most midi controllers and allows you to customise the set up to suit your needs. It is also significantly cheaper than a loupedeck! It's well worth looking at if you want to supercharge your workflow.
  2. Sounds neat
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Looks snazzy - i’d Only need three buttons lol.
  4. Just one for me,

Algorithmic
    Unilateral
    Topographical
    Optimiser.

Gizmo looks cool though, like the Loupedeck.
  5. I thought the same before I tried it! Now I've gone all Pete Waterman with the dials!
  6. MIDI to me means Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Is it the same sort of controller using MIDI?
  7. It is yes. Midi2lr converts the midi input into something lightroom can interpret. You can use any midi controller that you may have lying around - have a look on youtube for midi and lightroom - there are quite a few videos.