1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabulous Free Panorama Software

Discussion in 'Photo processing' started by Eric Bong, Nov 25, 2018.

1. I have been trying without success to persuade Photoshop to stitch a panorama of sunset images of late and it will just not have it. It ends up producing three separate images and is generally useless whatever I try to do.

I tried an alternative called PTassembler, which frankly was as simple as juggling whilst flying the space shuttle. I am technically minded, but couldn't get my head around it for toffee.

I then, quite by chance, stumbled on a brilliant piece of free software called Microsoft ICE - Image Composite Editor. It is produced by Microsoft Research, so I presume it is a kind of Beta software. However, it is exceedingly powerful and has been able to stitch everything I have thrown at it, including panoramas, vertoramas and multi row composites. It has far more projection options than Photoshop, so I haven't found myself having to make a round trip into Lightroom to sort out the horizontals, verticals and straight edges using the adaptive wide angle filter.

The only drawback is that it won't work with RAWs - so you will need to nail your white balance in Lightroom - or as you should do, in camera.

If you shoot panoramas, you should be using this software as it is brilliant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...tography-applications/image-composite-editor/
  2. Eric, I have been using the ICE for a few years now. Works great. You could export in tiff and import back into lr or photoshop for touchups. I generally just export out in jpeg though and only import back into lr for little adjustments and to watermark them. Have a 146mp on one shot from the western trip and many one up in the mp count. I like the ability for the many projections as some are better so the autocomplete doesn't have so much to do but it fills in the sky really great most all the time. Find most of the time using cylindrical or perspective. You also might find that sometimes auto select works better that rotating though it was a rotating shot. Have great fun with it.

I think I posted here somewhere about the software.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Photoshop works fine for me.

ICE is Windows only so can't try it.
  4. Same here.