1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baobab

Discussion in 'Still life' started by Polly, May 12, 2015.

1. Just for interest, my partner has just come home from visiting family in Zimbabwe, she brought me a seed of a Baobab tree. I cut the end off to be able to see the contents, which are edible, very bitter and made into a liqueur as well as a staple food, very rich in Vitamin A. The seed itself, a small black pip, is inside the [polystyrene looking and feeling] white rectangle held together with the fibres. The case is very hard [had to use a hacksaw] with a velvet like covering.

[​IMG]

With an apple to show size
    [​IMG]
  2. It's very strange, but makes for an interesting photograph. The white rectangles are quite bizarre :)
  3. They work for me, no 1 being my 'pick'
  4. Sam

Sam

Very odd looking and nice clear shots,I bet they hurt if they fall on your head.:)
  5. Good macro, and the apple for scale. It almost looks like some weird undersea creature (or maybe that's just my imagination).
  6. 1 works the best for me, weird looking thing!!!
  7. Yes. If Newton had been a Zimbabwean we would probably not have gravity.. :think:

Nice shots of a bizarre fruit!
  8. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Weirdly interesting :thumbup:
  9. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Thank you for sharing and broadening our horizons. Fascinating.
  10. tks guys.
  11. x-pack

x-pack Guest

It's like something off Star Trek. Weird.

No.1 for the photos :thumbup:
  12. That is odd , looks like feta cheese inside! Which bit do you actually eat??
  13. Interesting shots. Black ground works well
  14. Natures contemporary art. Fascinating.
  15. First one for me of an interesting looking fruit.
    PS: If you have any spare of the black seeds I would like to try and grow a Baobab. They have them in Australia where I lived for a while. I think they called them the upside down tree as the branches looked like roots.
  16. All very interesting.