1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd ever Breeding Bee-eaters in the Uk (Cumbria)

Discussion in 'Flora & fauna' started by jon_t, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Pictures are nothing special, but just thought you would like to know about this if anyone is visiting the North Lake District as its worth the £5 that the Rspb / Quarry owner is charging to see the nest site of only the 3rd ever Breeding Bee-eaters in the UK.
    A visit today to see the 3rd ever breeding pair of Bee- Eaters in the UK in brilliant Sunshine all day, although it started off with a bit of disappointment when after the 130 mile journey up to Low Gelt Quarry, near Brampton North Cumbria, when I saw how far away from the viewing point the birds were, in the news for the nest below
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/…/come-and-see-brilliant-bee-eaters…
    it showed some great shots obviously taken by someone a lot closer before the general public were let in ,which in my mind I thought it would be possible to duplicate easily, and having never seen one before I expected them to be flying round my head and landing on posts at the front of me ,but it wasn't to be.
    Anyone going don't expect to get that picture in the advert unless you have a monster scope and good digi scoping technique as they are very distant, about 200 meters is the closest you will get them ,and they were quite illusive today almost 2 hours at one point without a sighting and after that just the odd fly into the nest like a blue tit does to a nest box and then fly away again ,and very little chance of getting anything but a very distant record shot in flight, great to see them nesting though and very well organised by the RSPB Volunteers and fantastic birds to see, It wasn't as busy as I thought today probably 50 people maximum when I was there and about 15 when I left at 4.15. :)

A collage of distant record shots of Bee eater Cumbria

[​IMG]European Bee -Eaters - Brampton Cumbria by John Tymon, on Flickr

:)
  2. Wow what stunning looking birds they are! Lets hope the breeding is successful. Isn't is odd how it's illegal to take photos even near kingfishers breeding but these which are clearly rare as hens teeth they're actively encourage crowds to come up to see?
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Sounds like a beltin day out - close pix or not!
  4. wow bee-eaters in cumbria :clap:
  5. Worth going just to see the bird
  6. I think the ruling is 300 yards from schedule 1 nesting birds such as Kingfisher, but if taken from a public footpath there is no rule as far as im aware. I n this case the observation area is on a public footpath and the nest is about 300 yards away, but there is 24 hour surveillance on the nest of the bee eaters, so it doesn't really matter and I think the RSPB Like to use these sort of situations to encourage people in general not just birders to become more interested in birds and wildlife. I have always thought the licence system is crazy for schedule 1 breeding bird photography as anyone can apply to get a licence and its only limited by the amount they give out ,not the experience or knowledge of the person wanting to take shots at nest sites. :)
  7. Amazing sight and interesting info.
  8. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Fascinating. A rare treat to be sure.
  9. What an amazing looking bird.
  10. Amazing, but no good to me when I'm up there next month. Not with my short zoom anyway :)