1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** Image sizes and watermarks - Updated Feb 2022****

Discussion in 'Rules & announcements' started by Oy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

*** Revised and updated September 2022***

The rules for image sizes and watermarks/signatures on photos at ShutterNutters are as follows.

1. File dimensions

Your image must be between 1600px and 1024px horizontally or 1600px and 1200px vertically, which ever is smaller. For viewing large images it helps if you use a browser that scales to fit.

2. Watermarks and signatures on photos

Please do not put watermarks across the photos you post here. If they're intrusive enough to be effective in deterring theft for example - then they spoil the photo. We define "watermark" as something designed to obscure or partially obscure part of the image.

“Digital signatures” are allowed - with the following provisos…

1. They are small, discreet and in the corner of the image. A way of signing your name to your work without obscuring it or drawing attention to it at the expense of the actual image.

2. They are contained within a 200 x 100px area in one corner of the image. That's plenty big enough to sign your work.

3. They contain your name - and/or a small logo if you have one. Black or white with some level of opacity applied is what I’d recommend.

A good rule of thumb is that when I open the thread and view an image - we want the image to be the first thing we see - not your name. we already know who you are :)

Images / threads that do not meet the above will simply be removed - and the member involved will be then be reminded of these rules.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  2. Oy

To clarify the digital signature area - here's it is as an example. Your signature must fit within this small area in one corner of your image.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  3. Very clear to me.
  4. Oy

*File dimensions updated today to reflect current tech etc.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
  5. (File) size matters........
  6. Oy

Not really these days. Especially if people don;t save at full JPG quality - which is pointless even for print.

9 or 10/12 is perfect for either.
  7. My thoughts, That is one neat photo for using to show where the digital signature should go. What is it? nice bit of engineering that, and of course great photography.
  8. Most of the time I'm viewing on my phone, tablet and sometimes a 15" laptop, so size rarely matters. I must admit that watermarks just bug me, but that's just me.