1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Mac workflow

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Drei Löwen, Jan 26, 2020.

1. I have recently switched from PC to Apple. In general I am happy with the switch but I really did not expect to have difficulties with photos. On the pc I would have a folder for the year (e.g 2019) and subfolders for the month (e.g January) and I would load my photos by month regardless of what I was taking. On the Mac I have loaded photos into "photos", which includes raw and jpeg. When I come to develop the raw pictures I really struggle to find the raw files. Can anyone help me understand the best workflow with Mac?
  2. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Tell us about the software.

Lightroom imports my raw files into a folder for the year, and then for the date taken. They stay there for as long as I leave them until I get round to processing. I will do the Lightroom tweaks, then continue in Photoshop. Once I have a file I am happy with I will save it as a tif in the same folder and then create a screen quality jpeg (usually the same as the tif, but smaller with a nice border for here). The folders are there - in just the same way as they are when I edit on a PC.

Are you using any other programs, such as iPhoto or similar? Hint: don't. :)
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Yes - forget the built in “Photos” thing and just create your own folders structure. I have a folder on my Desktop called “Photos 2020” and I create a folder for each location. Then sun folders under there for each visit to that location.

The built in “Photos” thing is for people who just plug their iPhone etc in and sync it with “Photos” - it’s not intended for proper toggers.
  4. Thanks for the clarification. I will look to adopt a different way of working. Appreciate the comments.
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Just work how you did on the PC - all will be well ;)